Friday, September 7, 2012

Wine Rack


Awhile back I found this beautiful wine/bar/rack at yard sale for $25. Sadly, I don't have room for a wine rack of it's size.  OK, so I probably would have found room and loved it to pieces had it been able to fit in my tiny car.  However, it was steel and glass and definitely not, under any circumstances fitting into my car. Bummer. So, I started looking a thrift shops and other yard sales for a smaller, counter top version.  I found one that held 3 bottles at GoodWill, so I scooped that up for $1.99 and my baby sister found one for $1.99 at a consignment shop, that held two bottles.  However, neither of these held enough wine for their size.  Then, I went to St. Vincent's thrift store, and found one of the ugliest wine racks for $2.99. I, of course, brought it.   


Check out this beauty.
Even Sion was cautious of this.

But! it was just what I was looking for! It holds *9* bottles of wine.


It's compact in size.  

and, unfortunately blessed with this.  What do you even call this?
Miss Lyssa, who was with me at the time, didn't quite approve of my purchase. But it was my $3 to spend, so she let me bring it home. 
 First things first, the brown had to go.  Just had to. It was the color of bad stain.  I grabbed my tin of paint brushes and some white paint and went to work.


It took several coats to cover the brown.
Then, after the paint was finished drying, I flipped through my huge book of scrapbook paper (not quite sure why I have so much of it, I'm not a scrapbooker) and chose a couple of designs that I liked.

Green for the inside, and blue and green squares for the outside

Sion says, "much better mom, much better."

letting the glue dry, to adhere the paper to the cardboard I cut down to size  (so the cross hatching didn't show through)


All finished! Some white paint, mod podge, 4 pieces of scrap book paper, cardboard and time, and my ugly $2.99 wine rack is... pretty!


mmm. Sangria. 


No comments:

Post a Comment